Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Floating Shelves

I've seen a LOT of open and floating shelves in kitchens lately, and I kinda love them, as long as it's not the entire kitchen (those look a little "busy" to me). I decided to make some for myself! This part of my kitchen really needed some love. It was so boring and...well, empty. Ever since we moved in, I've been itching to do something with it. More specifically, put up a window treatment and some floating shelves. IKEA has some similar, very inexpensive shelves, but unfortunately I needed very specific sizes here, so making it was the only way to go.

Here is the before picture, complete with my mess:


And here are the first set of shelves up (get the tutorial here if you want to see how I did it, they are actually really simple to make!):


Yes...if you look out the window, you can see our neighbors' perfectly landscaped backyard, and our huge pile of brush in our not-landscaped-at-all backyard. One day, that will be cleaned up. One day.

Here they are! I think they balance out the kitchen very nicely. They have a few rough edges because I hate sanding (who doesn't??), but overall they turned out exactly how I pictured them. Now I just need to decorate them. The best part!

No comments:

Post a Comment