Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Just one more...

Okay, okay. Three blog posts in one day might be getting a little ridiculous. But I have ONE MORE THING I want to post about today. Simply because I am so proud of it that I can't wait. But, I have to tell my story first.

Kaylee has been on a little crib mattress on the floor since she was 6 months old, or so. It worked fine, it was convenient when we moved, she wouldn't fall far if she fell off, she would get up and play for a little while in the morning instead of crying like she would in a crib. We were planning on buying her a bed when our new baby outgrows the bassinet, but her Grammy Castrey beat us to it. She came over last week and bought Kaylee a new "big girl" bed. I was so excited to finally be able to use the quilt that I made for Kaylee at Christmas. It definitely didn't work with a crib mattress on the floor, that is for sure. Now...the bed was very cute, but it was missing something. I really wanted a bedskirt for it, because the quilt wasn't big enough to hang over all the edges. I had a bedskirt from Target that I was going to use, but I ended up not liking the color, so I exchanged it for a white one. The white one was...well, really ugly. It honestly just looked like the bed wasn't made correctly and a white sheet was hanging off the side.

I got to thinking. I really wanted white, but it just looked bad. Maybe a ruffled one would be better. But all the nice ones I could find were $25 or more and I am really trying to be frugal with all my decorating lately (I'm kind of on a decorating kick, if you haven't noticed yet). So I thought, why not make one? Well, you might say, because fabric is so expensive when you need a lot that it would be cheaper to just buy one anyway. That is true. I looked into it and it really wouldn't be much cheaper to buy the fabric, if at all.

Sooo I returned the failing bedskirt and went to DI, and I got two white sheets for $5. (I thought that was a little expensive for USED SHEETS, but I always think DI is a bit overpriced. Oh well.) Normally I wouldn't touch sheets at DI with a 15 foot pole. Even if you paid me. A lot. Just, ew. *shudder* However, I figured for a bedskirt, it was no biggie. I washed them about 5 times in REALLY hot water and bleached them and Boraxed them and...well, you get the picture.

And THEN! I cut them all up and sewed them together and two hours later...

It looks exactly how I wanted it. In fact, I like it even better than I thought I would. Take that, Target! And Walmart, and everywhere else. I'm not showing anything else in the room because it's not done yet. But it is getting there... :)

1 comment: