Friday, April 13, 2012

This article really got me thinking.

Your Children Want YOU!

Thanks, Mom, for posting it. I read it and it wasn't quite describing me, but I couldn't figure out why at first. I think I finally put my finger on it. I'm sort of the opposite. I feel like all the other moms out there are so much better than me - because they're good MOMS. Not because they decorate cute, or they're so organized. In fact, who cares about all that, really?

You're probably thinking... "Umm, Becky, take a look at your blog here. What are you always blogging about??"

Yeeeah, about that. Homemade Easter baskets. Homemade Easter dress. Cute cupcakes. Handmade entry table. Ruffled bedskirt made out of old sheets. Oh yeah, and I'm 8 months pregnant and have a toddler.

It's obvious that I LOVE crafts and decorating and organizing (although I'm still working on that last one). I especially developed a kind of passion for decorating when we bought our house. I just find it so much fun. I'm not trying to compete with anyone or anything, and honestly, I don't really use ideas online much at all. I get inspiration, then it's all me. I really honestly dislike Pinterest. It kind of annoys me.

So I wonder, am I one of "those" moms? Am I one of those moms that make other moms feel guilty that they're not good enough, because I cook pretty food (sometimes...), and I love decorating? Did I help start this whole trend in the first place? I've kind of gotten comments that imply that before. Things like "How on earth do you know how to do all those things?" and "Oh...is THAT what a good wife is supposed to do?" I've actually had quite a few people say things like that to me.

The truth is, at the end of the day, I don't think "Man, I wish my house was prettier. I wish I was perfectly organized." (Okay, I do sometimes wish my house was prettier, but it's usually something to do with taking out more black marble floor). I do, however, wonder if I spent enough time with Kaylee. Was I patient enough with her? Was I available when she needed me? Most of the time, I don't think I was any of those, and I feel guilty that I didn't make sure she had the best day she could.

Maybe those people you see on Pinterest have kids crying in the background because they want their mom. And their mom says "Oh, be quiet. Go play. I need to finish my blog post." Maybe their dad comes home and the house is messy, and there is no dinner made, and the kids are all yelling, and their mom says "Sorry, I had to finish this photoshoot of these Babyshower decorations I made. I didn't have time for much else."

So, something to think about. If you're ever feeling like your house isn't cute enough, or clean enough, or you're just not crafty enough...remember the other side. They have problems too. And they might be problems that actually MATTER. For me, I know what matters. It's just that I would rather go create something than read "Barnyard Dance" for the 100th time to my daughter. But in the grand scheme of things, reading that book is so much more important than making her bed look perfect.

I need to work on that.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I think I really needed that article. I like to look at things on Pinterest and sometimes I get discouraged looking at the beautiful houses and other things. Thank you so much for posting this and for linking the article. Hang in there! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete