Friday, December 30, 2011

Decorations

So as I stated in my previous post, I get sad when the Christmas decorations go down, and I needed a project to work on. It's early for it, but I am impatient and wanted to do something NOW. You know, I was never really into doing a lot of decorating at all. I wanted to, but I never did. I thought it took up too much space, and I never felt like I could do much in our rented apartments anyway. I never felt like we belonged there enough to really make it "homey". But now I can do whatever I want to! And I have space to store things. So here it is. First I had Will cut some blocks out for me:


At first when I asked him if he could cut me a few blocks with scrap wood and route out the edges, he wasn't sure. I couldn't figure out why on earth he wouldn't be able to, and when I finally explained exactly what I wanted, it made sense - he told me he thought I wanted him to cut baby blocks out and do letters on them, or something like that. I have a lot of faith in my husband's woodworking abilities, but really, I don't know if a router could do that anyway.


I painted the blocks white and cut out pink fabric to fit them. Then I free-handed some letters on black fabric and ironed them on to the pink with applique paper and glued those to the blocks. I put a few layers of a mixture of Glue-All and water (basically, a cheap version of Mod-Podge) on them until they got hard and smooth, then a quick coat of sealant over the top.


Ta-dah! Nothing too special, but I think they're cute. Of course, I'll have to put them away until, like...February 12th, but whatever. ;)

2 comments: